Friday, June 22, 2012

family time - part two

While my dad and Dave were at the Indy Car race in Milwaukee last weekend, my mom and I got to go on a fun adventure!

My mom has always loved Frank Lloyd Wright. When I knew that we would be spending the day together I decided to look into where some of his homes were to see if we could go visit.  I found out that his first home and several homes he designed were in Oak Park. We decided this would be a great way to spend our day!

We started with a walking tour of the neighborhood where we wore headsets that told us about each house as we walked by. We started with FLW's home and studio.

My mom in front of the studio
We walked past 10 other homes he designed in addition to his own. We had a great time seeing them all! They were all in the same area as his home. It was a great experience.

My mom's favorite FLW home, built in 1902.
My favorite on the tour, built 1893.
After we did the walking tour we were able to go on a tour of his home and studio. We were not able to take photos inside, but it was very beautiful and unique.

We were also able to take a tour of the Unity Temple which Wright designed after the original church was destroyed by fire. He was limited with a small space and limited budget.



Oak Park is also the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway.  We made a point to find his birthplace home and had a look from the outside.


Even though the temperature was very warm, we had a great time touring the town of Oak Park. What a great memory to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment